Monday, November 14, 2011

who has seen the wind?

Working at this large scale (9 feet) involves my whole body. I need to stretch the cloth out as I stitch the long lines. I use big arm gestures, like making a bed.It's impossible to get a sense of what the work will look like while I stitch it. I have to go on trust. I step on it. I get lost in it when it's in my lap. But because cloth is soft, and folds up, I can carry this off. I can work on a monumental scale. I'll leave it to my daughters to work with steel, cement, and oceans. (which they each do)

10 comments:

deanna7trees said...

nice to be able to stitch on trust. i love seeing the wind in reflections.

Jennifer said...

Stitching on trust. How intriguing. And lovely.seems the wind likes it too.

Nancy said...

Your posts are so imaginative and full. Love that last photo. Thanks for all.

Velma Bolyard said...

steel cement oceans...cloth. you are formidable women, indeed!

Caterina Giglio said...

just beautiful, that last photo is wonderful...

Ms. said...

YOU INSPIRED ME AGAIN and there may be an inclusion in a Monday music post November 21, the day I leave for ten day st Victorian friends in Massachusetts. How liberating to see the wind at work on your cloth. Made my day!

Margaret said...

You have energy, working so large! I have trouble when I can't spread things out -- especially indoors in winter. Love that you manage it, somehow!

Karen Thiessen said...

Nice! Yes, it's amazing how working with cloth can range from intimate lap projects to body-stretching endeavors.

Penny Berens said...

When we talked about going big, giant stitches never even occurred to me!

Katie said...

beautiful. And the pics are wonderful!