Friday, August 27, 2010

Shield

There was a Perivale Gallery envelope in the stack of mail that built up while we were away earlier this month. A Shield For My Open Heart sold in July. Shiela told me that a thin black-wearing art teacher from Mississauga purchased it. Although very glad about the sale, I feel a need to remind myself about the work. The main part was printed with small hand carved rubber blocks. the stitched part is couched metal over book pages. Two books were used. One was letters home by Mary Cassatt when she went to Paris, the other was Joseph Albers theory of colour. Lots of stuff for an art teacher to love.

7 comments:

Heather Hutchinson said...

Al I can say is "wow!"

Heather Hutchinson said...

I mean.....All I can say is 'wow!'

Sweetpea said...

Wonderful, WONDERFUL piece...wish I could read all those pages... The shield - are you working in a series with this theme?

Judy Martin said...

That's a really good idea - a series with the theme of shield - or of an open heart.

Sometimes however, I think that I am nearly done working on paper and should focus more on just the stitching.

Thanks for your encouragement.

Storycloth said...

Great choices of text. I love Mary Cassatt's work. Gilly

Phyllis said...

Amazing work. The stitching is incredible. I, too, have always loved the work of Mary Cassatt.

April said...

I am really glad that you posted this, I really wanted to see this piece again. So simple yet so strong. xo april