Friday, November 06, 2009

Carl Beam

In 2004, I was very lucky to be part of a tiny group (4 or 5) who took a 'workshop' here on Manitoulin Island with Carl Beam. It wasn't a technique workshop. It was more about developing a personal voice. Here is some of what he said.


Ask why am I drawn to this subject? Should I work smaller? Should I choose a different medium?

If you achieve competency, you become complacent. But if you want to reach a different level, more pleasurable – more imaginative, you need to go beyond what other people think about your work.

Other art is boring.

What is art? If you are happy with what you are doing, you can still empower your art. Become obsessed. Allow yourself to be possessed.

If you have something to say, you can say it with a minimum of colour, shape.

If you have nothing to say, it’s pretty hard to fool everybody all the time.

I can’t be responsible for what people read into my work.

Carl Beam

3 comments:

patstudio said...

wow. and, yes. and, thank you for that post.

Gina said...

Thankyou for sharing this Judy. It seems very pertinant to what I am doing at present.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for this post. He sounds like a really, really interesting man.