Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The ROCI project

what am I waiting for? 2005

On December 14, 1984 Robert Rauschenberg initiated his ROCI project (Rauschenberg Overseas Culture Interchange)by inviting representatives of the art world to the United Nations in New York. His U.N. presentation stated that one-to-one contact through art was a non-elitist way to share exotic and common information. He had given up on the politicians.

"It's now up to the artists to wage peace" he said, and travelled from nation to nation, creating art about what he experienced and exhibiting it. He visited places like Tibet, China, Japan, Mexico, Venezuela, Chile, Cuba, and Moscow over a period of twelve years. Record - breaking crowds attended the exhibitions. He acted on his long-held belief that "the artist must be engaged in determining the fate of the earth, that the artist cannot stand aloof as an observer."

He did the ROCI project when he was in his 60's. "I decided that instead of having a mid-life crisis I'd do something about the world crisis."

2 comments:

chrissythreads said...

Hi Judy,
Happy New Year - hope the module is going OK. UK is due in next week but fortunately I've already sent it to Davida so I can have a break. Can't say I'm looking forward to the feedback - just hope I do better now I'll be back on a practical.
Chris

Judy Martin said...

Chris,
I am so not ready to send in my module. The holidays here were filled with family and all that goes with it in a very pleasant way, and I just gave myself over to that. I'm just starting to get back to my research and was so glad that Davida almost insisted that I study Robert Rauschenberg, as his work is so extremely inspiring.