Saturday, May 17, 2008

Newest Biography - third draft

Art and sewing supplies were made freely available to me when I was growing up near Fort Frances, North Western Ontario. Our house in the country provided me with the time and space to seek an inner world. I studied piano during my entire youth and because of that I have the self-discipline to work every day at my artwork. As well, the emotional content of classical music gave me the idea that it is possible to communicate what it’s like to be alive.

My husband and I have lived on Manitoulin Island for fifteen years, our daily view is of the Wikwemikong Peninsula across Manitowaning Bay. It's quiet here. During the ten years we lived in Kenora I studied part time through Lakehead University and graduated with Honours BFA in 1993. I’m currently in the middle of pursuing another BA degree by distance, this time with a focus in mixed media textiles. I welcome the challenge and my work thrives on it.

What is my medium? Usually there is some drawing or painting and usually there is some stitch. Metaphysics, ecology, and the beauty of nature and family are my subjects. My twenty-first solo exhibition, Red Thread, is at the Gore Bay Museum this summer and is all new work. My art can also be seen at the Perivale Gallery on Manitoulin Island and through the art rental program at the Art Gallery of Sudbury. I have been an exhibiting artist for over twenty-five years.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful post, Judy! I so enjoy reading the stories of your life. I do hope that we will someday have the opportunity of crossing paths on this island where everyone seems to know everyone! I'm quite surprised that we haven't bumped into each other yet! :)