Sunday, February 10, 2008

nose in books

Top Ten quilt books.

1. Traditional Quilts and Other Bedcoverings 1979 by Ruth McKendry. McKendry is a Canadian and this book was very important to my development. She talks about early pioneer quilts, and she's the only one I've found who discusses the symbolism found within traditional quilt pattern. She's written another, shorter book called
Classic Quilts published in 1997 by Key Porter Books.

2, Both Nancy Crow monographs. Her 1990 Quilts and Influences still inspires me and her newer self-titled one published in 2000 humbles me. Both great.

3. Roderick Kiracofe's book The American Quilt, now out in paperback. This is one wonderful book packed with historical information and amazing traditional quilts.

4. The Pieced Quilt by Jonathan Holstein published in 1973. I use this for when I need to write speeches...he is very passionate and opinionated.

5. All the Quilt National catalogs. I refer to these constantly. They come out every two years.

6. The Extraordinary in the Ordinary, edited by Mary Hunt Kahlenberg This book was my introduction to world textiles. I use it as a reference all the time. 1998

7. The Complete Book of Quiltmaking by Michelle Walker 1985. This is a British book, and one that I referred in my early days when my children were small and I was developing my personal voice.

8. The World of Amish Quilts by Rachel and Kenneth Pellmen. I can not count how many times I have reached for this book and the accompanying pattern book. Beautiful and inspiring. 1984

9. The Art Quilt by Robert Shaw, 1997

10. The Quilts of Gee's Bend by William Arnett,2002

No comments: