Friday, August 10, 2007

art textiles of the world

I have been doing a lot of reading this summer and recently re-read two of the amazing Art Textiles of the World books, Japan volume 2 and Great Britain volume 2. These books are really inspiring and I highly recommend any of the series. For example, here are quotes by some of the artists from Great Britain.

Jo Budd: "fabric allowed me to work abstractly" "I work from memory"

Alice Kettle: "I view the creative act as awesome and miraculous" "I am a contemporary artist. I work with modern materials. I am aware of the social dilemma around us"

Caroline Broadhead: "I am interested in the borderline between the self and the rest of the world. There is an outside and an inside. A side to be seen by others and a private side."

Janet Ledsham: "the spiritual and the functional find their expression in one artifact"

Polly Binns: "The answers come to me if I let them" "My fluency lies in my work"

No comments: